The history of Rivière-du-Loup
The City of Rivière-du-Loup
Set in a natural amphitheater overlooking the beautiful St-Lawrence River, Rivière-du-Loup abounds in pure salt air. Wherever you go, you'll be assured of a warm welcome. Whether you are admiring the sunset from the belvedere at the Pointe, watching birds on the islands, thrilling to an exciting whale watching cruise or simply strolling along the beach, the St-Lawrence River is always the focal point. Visit Riviere-du-Loup's museum and art galeries. Get caught up in the doing of sidewalk artists, street performers, photographers. Go on sailboat cruise, play a round of golf, take a cycling tour, whatever your interested, Riviere-du-Loup is the ideal choice for a memorable vacation.
Source : Guide Touristique "Rivière-du-Loup plus qu'une rivière, un fleuve..." from Office du Tourisme et des Congrès de Rivière-du-Loup.
Rivière-du-Loup ..., the three legends
- The first legend tells of a French ship "Le Loup", said to have an anchorage at the mouth of the river in the winter of 1659-1660.
- The second stems form a tribe of Indians known as "Les Loups" that made their home on the site of the present town.
- The third legend comes from numerous seals that use to congregrate at the mouth of the river.
Important dates to remember about Rivière-du-Loup history
Source : Société historique de Rivière-du-Loup.
- 1615 - Father Chrestien Le Clercq talks about the missionnaries visiting Gaspesia and Riviere-du-Loup. During that period the name of Riviere-du-Loup is mentioned, 7 years after Quebec city was discovered.
- 1673 (December 23) - The West Indies Co. grants Riviere-du-Loup's land to their agent Charles Aubert de La Chesnaye who becomes the first lord and later receives Kamouraska's land in 1680 and Témiscouata-Madawaska's land in 1683
- 1686 - For the first time a bishop named Monsignor St-Vallier spends 6 days in Riviere-du-Loup, coming from Quebec and heading towards Acadia.
- 1763 (July 20) - All the Nicholas Dandame Danseville's domains are sold to James Murray.
- 1792 (February 12) - Ignace Leclerc a priest from Saint-André blesses the first church built in Rivière-du-Loup. The first service is celebrated March 17th, on St-Patrick's day.
- 1802 (August 2) - Lord Caldwell has buys the Rivière-du-Loup's lands from James Murray's heirs, and sells it to Alexander Fraser who was Colonel Malcom Fraser's second son.
- 1830 - The first resident priest in St-Patrice parish is Reverend M.P. Noël who was nominated by the archbishop of Quebec City. Manor located on 32 Fraser street is built .
- 1832 - The first post office is opened in Rivière-du-Loup.
- 1837 (June 14) - Alexander Fraser dies in the actual Fraser Manor.
His son Malcom, born on December 26, 1817 becomes by title the new lord.
- 1841 - The presbyterian church St-Bartholomew, located on Du Domaine street becomes an anglican church.
- 1842 (February 4) - Lord Malcom Fraser dies. He is 25 years old and single. His title is given jointly to his brothers William & Edward . Edward was born at Temiscouata lake in 1832 and remained single all his life. He was a lawyer and died on February 12th 1874 at the age of 41. William, was born near Fort Ingall in 1830. He was married with Anaïs Wilhelmine de Gaspé in 1857. Anaïs was Philippe Aubert de Gaspé's daughter.
- 1850 (June 26) - Lord Elgin proclaims Fraserville a city .
- 1856 (December 18) - Mr. Langevin, priest of St-Basile parish in Madawaska, consecrates the St-Patrice Church. That church was built downtown Fraserville on a piece of land given by Lords William & Edward Fraser. The first official mass is celebrated during the Midnight Mass. The first child to be baptized is Charles-Eugene Pouliot who becomes a lawyer and later the father of senator Jean-Francois Pouliot.
- 1859 - Rivière-du-Loup becomes the east terminal of Grand-Tronc's railroad and is already called the capital of the St-Lawrence's area.
- 1862 (June 28) - The sisters "Servantes du Coeur Immaculé de Marie" opened the first school for girls: "Le Couvent du Bon Pasteur".
- 1883 (October 29) - Honorable Henri Taschereau, judge of the Superior Court presides at the first session in the new Court House
- 1884 - A newspaper is published for the first time : "L'Écho de Fraserville", and later a second one called "Le Jour".
- 1886 - Saint-Patrice's College is built. Friars from "Les écoles chrétiennes" start teaching in September.
- 1887 - Inauguration of the Témiscouata Raylway which connects Rivière-du-Loup and New-Brunswick.
- 1887 to 1889 - Mr. Blais, a priest and his niece Mathilde Pouliot found the first hospital of Rivière-du-Loup which is runned by the Sisters of the Providence.
- 1888 - Creation of the Riviere-du-Loup local telephone network which includes 30 consumers.
- 1895 (November 19) - The Saint-Laurent newspaper publishes his first issue. A Casavant organ is purchased for the Saint-Patrice church.
- 1905 - Two churches are built : Saint-François-Xavier and Saint-Ludger.
- 1908 - Inauguration of the Canadian National Railroad shops.
- 1909 - Trans-Saint-Laurent Company offers a regular and permanent ferry.
- 1910 - Fraserville builts its first hydroelectric plant.
- 1915 (March) - The American Consulate settles in Rivière-du-Loup until 1931.
- 1919 (March 4) - The City of Fraserville becomes the City of Rivière-du-Loup.
- 1932 (April 27) - The Sisters of Sainte-Claire (contemplative nuns) arrive in Rivière-du-Loup and open their Monastery.
- 1939 (June 12) - His Majesty the King George VI and the Queen Elizabeth visit Riviere-du-Loup.
- 1947 (April 13) - CJFP radio station broadcasts its first programmation.
- 1948 - Foundation of the "Externat Classique" school (for boys) in Rivière-du-Loup.
- 1959 (August 6) - Honorable George Hees,Minister of Transport, inaugurates the Rivière-du-Loup airport.
- 1959 (October 31) - Inauguration of the Foyer-Patro, first step before the creation of "La Cité des jeunes" and the Cégep which is inaugurated in 1969.
- 1961 (October 1rst) : The CN Shops are sold to F.F. Soucy Inc. and become a papermill.
- 1962 (January 14) - CKRT-TV broadcasts its first program.
- 1968 (March 8) - The patients of the Hôpital St-Joseph are transferred to the new Hotel-Dieu hospital which is called today CHRGP.
Hôpital St-Joseph becomes an institution specializing in long term sickness.
- 1970 and following - The construction of highways 20 and 185.
- 1971 (August 14-22) - The first summer games are held in Rivière-du-Loup and "Piloup", the famous mascot, is born.
- 1977 - Inauguration of the Gros-Cacouna shipyard. -Inauguration of the industrial park.
- 1983 - A triple celebration marks the 300th anniversary of the religious life in Rivière-du-Loup (1683), the 150th anniversary of St-Patrick's parish (1833) and the 100th anniversary of the construction of the chruch (1883).
- 1987 (September) - Foundation of the "Société d'Histoire et de Généalogie de Rivière-du-Loup".
"Go to the web site of Société historique de Rivière-du-Loup"
"Commentaires ou suggestions: firstname.lastname@example.org"
Adresse URL --> http://www.lagace.org/rdla.htm
© Création Mireille Lagacé, 1996